Jul 4, 2008

#79: More Than Just A "Face" (Friday, July 4)

How well do you know the people on your Facebook friends list? Do you know their favorite color? Or the snack they like to eat when they go to the movies? How about the song that puts them in a good mood? There are people on my Facebook friends list who I have no clue who they are and have never spoken to them, other than adding them (they were friends of friends). There are people on my Good Friday email distribution list whom I've never met in person, but have such great energy online that I know we'll be friends once we do meet (shouts to DD in Toronto, DL in Baltimore and LR in Cali!!).

The other day when I was in my funk 2 of the folks in the latter group actually took the time out to reach out to me and offer some words of encouragement. It made me ashamed that I had not made more of an effort to connect with these two women, despite communicating with them via email for almost 2 years!

The Idea: Spend this weekend really meeting at least one new person or establishing a valid connection with someone you've already met. When I say really meeting, I mean talk about more than the weather, politics or what they do for a living.

The Cost: Just some of your time.

The Benefit: Sometimes it is our connection with others that gives us the most enjoyment out of life.

Enjoy life!

2 comments:

Ankhenaten said...

Well, let's see, you and I have already met but I'd love to make a valid connection. When can I see you? :)

Crankyputz said...

Going out on a limb to think that iM the DD from TO. I think in honour of this post we should plan a trip to meet, a short, you guys come here or vice versa....holla...