Nov 21, 2008

#100: Don't Worry About Things You Can't Control (Friday, November 21)

Some of my friends think I've lost my mind. I work for one of the largest financial companies in the world.

In the last couple of weeks, things have taken a drastic turn, and I'm faced with a possible job loss and seen a part of last year's bonus decline to almost nothing.

But I still go into work with a smile on my face. I still answer my phone as cheerful as ever. And even though I,ve packed up all of my personal belongings and am shuttlin them home bit by bit (Marketing is always the first to go) I encourage people to be positive. "I think she's lost it," I overheard one of my coworkers tell another after I'd left the pantry. "Some people just don't handle stress well."

I'm actually not stressed at all, because I'm not worried. Why worry about things that are beyond my control? The fate of my job is really in the hands of the people who own the company's stock, who use its services and are patrons of its bank. Basically, yawl. LOL.

So I continue to live my life. I still plan to have my birthday party, because years from now when things get better, I don't want to regret not celebrating my 30th birthday.

But something struck me today. I got a quote that said, "Sometimes not getting what you want may be the best gift you could have gotten." Had I gotten the promotion I wanted, I'd probably be placed in the difficult position of having to let people go or deciding who should go. A gift indeed.:)

For those of you worried about your jobs, it is wasted energy. You have people who love and care about you and you will not starve. Live your life and trust that things will work out in your favor.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks, enjoyed reading your short post. I don't 'hope' that everything will work out for you because I'm quite certain it will.