Nov 7, 2008

#98: Be You (Friday, November 7)

I am in some way eternal, I will never be duplicated. The singularity of every man and woman is Jah's gift. What we struggle to make of it is our sole gift to Jah. - Bob Marley

Sometimes I can be moody; I'm not good at returning phone calls, but if any of my friends need me, I'm there in heartbeat; sometimes I'm too objective and I'm usually trying to find the good in people; I get easily annoyed; and I hold the people I love to very high expectations. I have my faults, but those who love me also love those imperfections because that's what makes me...well, me.

At any given moment, there are millions of people in the world pretending to be someone (or something) they are not. Whether it's by omission or false representation, there are those who just don't think their authentic personalities are great enough to be their true reflection in the world, which is a very unfortunate thing. Whenever someone underestimates their worth or thinks they have to be other than what they are to be accepted and fit in, it makes me very sad.

There are over 1000 people with my name in the U.S. alone. Yet that doesn't affect my perception of who I am. The greatest gift you can give the world is to be you. Not what people think you should be, what they expect you to be, or what you think it's cool to be. You bring something to this earth that no other living thing (and there's trillions of them!) can. Celebrate your uniqueness by keeping it authentic and being true to who you are.

No comments: